Chocolate-Covered Banana Coconut Bites
What is it about chocolate-covered bananas that make them so freaking good?! Whenever we have fondue at home for a special dessert, we always have sliced bananas. My husband doesn’t usually eat bananas, but he loves them dipped in chocolate! Fondue is reserved for special occasions in this house though so making these frozen banana bites helps with those regular banana and chocolate cravings! They are definitely one of my favorite summer treats. The only bad thing about eating them whole is that they can get kind of messy. I love doing frozen banana bites like these because I can keep a container in the freezer and just pop a few when I need a sugar fix.
One of the secrets to making these is the use of coconut oil mixed in with the chocolate. Since coconut oil has both liquid and solid properties, it acts sort of like a magic shell (you know, like the ice cream topping?!) once it cools so the chocolate sets pretty quickly which means the sooner you get to start eating them! And I mean, look how cute they are?!
I recommend keeping these stored in the freezer so that they don’t melt. And while I covered them with shredded coconut, you could also sprinkle nuts or even sprinkles on top!
- 2 large bananas, sliced (about 1 1/2 inches thick)
- 3/4 cup chocolate of your choice (dark, milk, semi-sweet)
- 2 tbs. coconut oil
- 3/4 cup shredded unsweetened coconut.
- Cut the bananas into slices. Layer the slices on a baking sheet and place into to freezer for at least 2 hours.
- Prepare a double boiler by filling a pot with water about half way and then placing a heat-safe glass bowl over it. Bring the water to a light boil.
- Melt the coconut oil in the bowl. Stir in the chocolate chips and continue to stir until completely melted.
- Remove the banana slices from the freezer, use a toothpick to dip each slice into the chocolate until completely covered. Shake off any excess chocolate and place back onto the baking sheet. Immediately sprinkle with coconut on top. Repeat with the remaining slices.
If the chocolate begins to thicken while you are dipping the banana slices, just stir in a bit more coconut oil.
Serving Size:1 bite
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 99Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 2mgSodium: 8mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 6gProtein: 1g