Chocolate Chia Seed Pudding
Ch-Ch-Chia! I’m sorry, I couldn’t resist…Today I’ve got a suuuuppppper easy, healthy, and low-carb dessert for you guys! It’s chocolatey and rich, but actually healthy because it is made with chia seeds which are packed with fiber, omega-3s,and protein. If you don’t have much experience with chia seeds, when mixed with a liquid, they absorb the liquid and then form a gel-like pudding!
This pudding is sweetened with healthier alternatives like agave nectar or maple syrup, or even dates! It’s your pick really! This pudding only takes 5 ingredients to make and requires FAR less preparation than traditional pudding recipes and best of all, you can make it the day before to set overnight.
Now let’s talk about chia seeds and texture for a minute. I don’t HATE the texture of the chia seeds, but I can’t say I absolutely love it either. So when making this pudding, I decided to blend it up a bit to break some of it up, but there was still some texture to the pudding. Now, if you have a really heavy-duty blender, you may be able to get a smoother texture. If not, then you may still have some seeds, but I don’t mind it. If you are #teamchiaseedtexture then don’t worry about blending at all!
- 2 cups milk (I used unsweetened coconut almond milk)
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chia seeds
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- sweetener of your choice and to taste: agave nectar, maple syrup, honey, stevia
- In a bowl, whisk together the milk, cocoa powder, and the chia seeds. Cover and chill overnight in the fridge or at least for 4 hours.
- If not blending, stir in the vanilla and sweetener to taste and serve. If blending, add the chia mixture, plus the vanilla and sweetener to taste in a blender and blend until the pudding reaches desired consistency. I recommend letting the pudding chill for another hour in the fridge if blending.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 248Total Fat: 10gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 10mgSodium: 69mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 10gSugar: 9gProtein: 10g