Chicken Teriyaki Meatballs
I’ve been trying to keep up on changing up my lunch routine every week. I get sick of eating the same things over and over so I like to try to change things up every week.
These chicken teriyaki meatballs are one of those recipes you can also save for easy weeknight dinners because they take under 30 minutes to make!
The meatballs are made with ground chicken breasts. You can also use ground turkey if you prefer it! They also need some garlic, panko breadcrumbs, soy sauce, an egg, and I also add some crushed pineapple for added flavor!
The sauce takes less than 10 minutes to make and I prepare it once the meatballs are baking. The sauce just needs some pineapple juice (which I get from the can of crushed pineapple), soy sauce, some brown sugar, and fresh minced garlic and ginger!
You can serve these meatballs with steamed rice, fried rice, or even cauliflower rice if you are watching your carbs. Steamed or sautéed veggies are also great to serve with the meatballs. The sauce recipe yields some extra sauce for drizzling over rice and veggies as well.
I made this recipe for lunches one week to take to work along with some steamed broccoli. I divided the recipe into individual containers and it was so great to just grab and heat up at work!
For the meatballs:
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup crushed pineapple
- 2 tablespoons low sodium soy sauce
- 1 large egg
For the sauce:
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon rice vinegar
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 heaping teaspoon cornstarch
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. In a mixing bowl, add the ground chicken, garlic, panko, pineapple, soy sauce, and egg until well-combined. Spoon out 2-3 tablespoons of the mixture and roll into balls. Place the meatballs onto a large baking sheet sprayed with non-stick spray so they are not touching.
- Bake the meatballs for 20-25 minutes or until browned on the outside and cooked through.
- While the meatballs are baking, prepare the teriyaki sauce. In a medium saucepan over medium heat, add the water, vinegar, pineapple juice, soy sauce, and brown sugar. Whisk constantly until the sugar dissolves.
- In a small bowl, stir together the cornstarch with about 1 tablespoon of water. Pour the slurry into the sauce. Let the sauce simmer about 5-7 minutes or until it begins to thicken.
- Remove the meatballs from the oven and add into the pan. Toss until coated in the sauce. Serve the meatballs over steamed rice or veggies!
Serving Size:4 meatballs
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 360 Total Fat: 14g Saturated Fat: 4g Trans Fat: 0g Unsaturated Fat: 9g Cholesterol: 168mg Sodium: 1224mg Carbohydrates: 26g Net Carbohydrates: 0g Fiber: 1g Sugar: 13g Sugar Alcohols: 0g Protein: 33g