Chicken Salad Wonton Cups
How is it possible that the 4th of July is over?! Once the 4th passes, it’s kind of like the summer is already almost over. I can’t say that I’ll be sad to see it go with this ridiculous heat!
You know how I always complain about how much of a failure I am with making lunches? I continue to complain about this and never really do anything about it. I’m happy to say that lately, I can’t get enough salads. Salads with lots of yummy toppings. Knowing me, I will be sick of salads by the end of the week.
I’m a big fan of chicken salad. Chicken salad in a sandwich, on a salad, on a cracker, and now in a crispy wonton cup!
I love this particular chicken salad recipe because it has the perfect amount of mayo and yogurt and the celery and crispy wonton cups give it a nice crunch for texture. I made these in a regular-sized muffin tin which makes them great to serve if you are hosting a lunch or brunch. They can easily be made in a mini muffin tin if you want them to be bite-sized to serve as an appetizer!
- wonton wrappers (see note)
- non-stick spray
- 4 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded (I used rotisserie)
- 1/3 cup celery, diced
- 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup light mayo
- 1/2 cup non-fat plain Greek yogurt
- 2 tsp. cider vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp. mustard powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- paprika (for sprinkling on top)
- additional sliced green onion or chives (for garnish)
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a muffin tin with cooking spray
- Place wrappers into each cavity (2-3 for regular-sized muffin tin; 1 for a mini-muffin tin). Spray the wrappers with more cooking spray. Bake for about 10-13 minutes or until the wontons are crispy. Remove from the oven.
- While the cups are baking, place the chicken in a bowl along with the celery and green onion. In a separate bowl, whisk together the mayo, yogurt, vinegar, garlic powder, mustard powder, and some salt and pepper. Pour the dressing over the chicken and toss until well-coated. Season with more salt and pepper if necessary.
- If serving right away, divide the chicken mixture amongst each cup. Sprinkle some of the paprika on top of each cup along with more green onion or chives if desired.
- I made my cups with a regular sized muffin tin, so I needed about 3 wrappers per cup. If you decide to make mini-sized cups, you might only need 1 wrapper per cup.
- You can mix the chicken salad the night before if you want, but I would bake the wonton cups the same day you plan to serve them.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 112Total Fat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 42mgSodium: 154mgCarbohydrates: 2gFiber: 0gSugar: 1gProtein: 16g