Flashback Friday: Chicken Piccata
Welcome to Flashback Friday, a new series here on Eat. Drink. Love.! When I started this blog a little over two years ago, I never expected it to grow in the way that it has (and I owe that to all of you guys!). During the first year I started blogging, I didn’t have nearly as many readers as I do now. And obviously, the pictures were mostly horrific. Despite the bad photos, I still made some really yummy recipes that first year which is why I am starting this new series! I am going to remake recipes from my first year of blogging that I feel deserve more attention and so that I can take some better photos. When you have a food blog, you often are always making new recipes so this will also give me a chance to make some of our favorite recipes again!
First up, Chicken Piccata! This is actually one of my favorite chicken dishes. Mostly because it involves lots of lemon juice and wine. Two things you know I am very fond of! I don’t coat mine in egg, just a dusting of flour which results in a nice light breading. And then of course, it’s topped with capers. This dish comes together pretty quickly in under 30 minutes. I like to make a light pasta or some roasted potatoes on the side.
- 1 lb. chicken breast, cut each breast in half and butterfly
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon capers
- In a medium-sized bowl, add flour, salt and pepper and mix well.
- Heat non-stick pan to medium heat. Add 2 tablespoons of the butter. Once butter is melted, dredge chicken in the flour mixture and put into pan. Cook for 5 minutes on one side, then turn over and cook for an additional 5 minutes or until chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- While chicken is cooking, mince garlic and measure wine and lemon juice. Set aside until chicken is done.
- Once chicken is done, place each piece onto a serving dish and set aside. Without cleaning the pan (you want the pan drippings!), add remaining tbs. of butter, garlic, wine and lemon juice. Let sauce simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove sauce from heat and carefully drizzle over chicken until each piece is covered in the sauce. Set any remaining sauce aside. Top chicken with capers and serve!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 429Total Fat: 17gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8gCholesterol: 119mgSodium: 341mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 2gSugar: 1gProtein: 39g