Flashback Friday: Chicken Pepperoni-Marinara
How is it November already?! My favorite month has passed. I have to take down my beloved Halloween decorations. What did you guys do for Halloween? Do you carve pumpkins? Me and my husband are kind of nuts when it comes to pumpkin carving. We try to do something really elaborate every year. Once we decide what to do, we spend the 3 hours cursing and complaining how we’re over it and get really mad if we mess it all up. Once we finish and get them lit up, it’s all worth it and we go through the same torture the next year. Here are our pumpkins this year:
This chicken pepperoni-marinara is a recipe I got from Cooking Light two years ago. It’s a good compromise when you are craving greasy pizza. Instead of crust, you got chicken. I then went and defeated the whole purpose by serving it over pasta, but serving it with some roasted veggies is also really great! It’s filling and you still get that cheesy goodness you love when eating pizza. My other favorite thing about it? It’s ready in less than 30 minutes which is something I really appreciate these days with my work schedule being extra crazy.
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 16 slices pepperoni, chopped plus more for garnish (I used turkey pepperoni)
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (bottled or homemade)
- 2 tablespoons basil, chopped
- 2 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts (If thick, I cut mine in half for faster cooking time)
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
- Heat a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray. Add the the garlic and pepperoni and cook for 2 minutes until the garlic begins to brown. Add the oregano and stir. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
- Heat a large oven-safe skillet on medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with some salt and pepper. Cook the chicken on each side about 3-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Spoon the sauce on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the chicken. Add additional slices of pepperoni on top. Broil for 2 minutes until the cheese melts. Garnish with the basil. Serve with pasta or veggies!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 380Total Fat: 14gSaturated Fat: 6gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 122mgSodium: 533mgCarbohydrates: 8gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 48g