Chicken Meatball Subs
As an Italian girl (well, 58% Italian according to my DNA results anyway), making good meatballs should be in my blood, right? Well, it’s not. I’ve said it before on this blog, but in my family, your meatball-making skills improve only as you get older. Great-Grandma was obviously the OG of good meatballs. My mom didn’t really master them until the last 10 years or so and me? I still apparently am meatball-challenged.
Actually, I personally don’t feel like my meatballs are that bad, but my husband tells me they don’t even compare to my mom’s. I know, he’s so sweet, right? Whatever, so fine, my beef meatballs aren’t impressive. So, I tried these chicken meatballs a few weeks ago and served them in sub rolls and guess what? He said they were really yummy and I totally agree!
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup bread crumbs
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups marinara sauce (jarred or homemade)
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 sub rolls
- In a large mixing bowl, add the chicken, egg, bread crumbs, Italian seasoning, salt, garlic, and Parmesan cheese. Use your hands to fold the mixture together until well-combined. Form into approximately 10-12 meatballs (about 2-3 tablespoons each).
- Heat the olive oil in a non-stick skillet over medium heat. Add the meatballs and cook for about 2 minutes per side, turn, cook for another few minutes. Repeat until the meatballs are lightly browned all over. Pour the sauce into the skillet. Lower the heat to low and cover. Allow the meatballs to simmer in the sauce for about 20-30 minutes.
- During the last 5 minutes, remove the lid, sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top of the meatballs and cover again until cheese is melted. Spoon about 3-4 meatballs into each sub roll. Serve.
Serving Size:1 sandwich (3 meatballs)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 524Total Fat: 22gSaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 165mgSodium: 1273mgCarbohydrates: 36gFiber: 4.1gSugar: 8gProtein: 48g
The mixture for these is just ground chicken, seasonings, garlic, eggs, bread crumbs, and Parmesan cheese. I browned them in a skillet with some olive oil and then simmered them in tomato sauce for about 30 minutes and honestly, I think that’s they step that makes these so delicious. Letting them simmer in the sauce ensures they not only get fully-cooked, but makes them more tender and flavorful! At the end of cooking, I sprinkled the cheese on top, let it melt and then just scooped the meatballs and cheese together into sub rolls and served it. You can also melt the cheese and toast under the broiler if you prefer. I love these for a weeknight meal and it’s limited hands-on time. You can serve them some roasted vegetables or a salad!