Summer is on its way out, but before I start bombarding you with pumpkin recipes, I’m still holding onto cherry season a little bit longer because it is one of my most favorite things about summer!
I love and adore making fruit salsas. That sweet and salty combo makes my tastebuds happy!
I love salsas on pretty much all of the things and for basically all three meals of the day! My scrambled eggs? Must. have. salsa! Lunch and dinner, whatever I’m eating, let’s put salsa on that too!
This cherry salsa couldn’t be easier. Just a lot of fresh chopped cherries, red onion, some jalapeño, lime juice, and avocado! You can skip the avocado if you want, but I love it in this salsa. It adds a nice smooth and creamy texture to the salsa. Just be careful when mixing it in, if you overmix, you’ll end up with cherry guacamole (would that be a bad thing?).
You can prep this salsa in advance if needed, but you may want to wait to add the avocado as it can brown if you let it sit for too long, but the lime juice keeps it green for a couple of hours in my experience.
This salsa is obviously fantastic with just tortilla chips, but I also think it’s fabulous on top of chicken, fish, or pork. This salsa is a definite must-make before the cherries leave us for the year!
- 3 1/2 cups pitted and chopped cherries
- 2 tablespoons finely chopped and seeded jalapeno pepper (can adjust if desired)
- 1-2 limes, juiced
- 1/4 cup red onion, diced
- salt to taste
- 1 medium to large avocado, pitted and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- tortilla chips
- In a bowl, add the chopped cherries, jalapeño pepper, lime juice, red onion, and salt. Mix.
- Add in the avocado and cilantro. Mix slowly and gently (as not to mash) until the avocado is well-incorporated.
- Cover and chill or serve with tortilla chips.