Cheesy Zucchini Bake
Zucchini is truly one of my most favorite low-carb swaps. Where do I even begin? How about zucchini cheesy bread, zucchini fries, enchilada zucchini boats, zucchini pad thai, and so many more! See? Total zucchini lover here!
And anything cheesy zucchini has my heart! I had a bad craving for scalloped potatoes recently, but decided to try my hand at a zucchini version that was also a bit lighter on both cheese and free of heavy cream, and of course, lower in carbs!
This zucchini bake totally satisfied my potato cravings and gave me those yummy comfort food vibes. To start, you will just slice up some zucchini and saute in a pan to give it a little pre-cook. After that, it’s time to make the cheese sauce! Using cream cheese gives the sauce some thickness and makes it nice and creamy! I like to use vegetable broth for added flavor, but plain water also works. Stir in some spices and a bit of shredded cheddar and the sauce is done. Stir it in with the zucchini and top with panko breadcrumbs tossed with a little butter and bake until so perfectly bubbly and creamy!
While I used just zucchini in this recipe, you could do a mix of zucchini and yellow
I love this as a side dish any time of the year, but if you are looking for some lower-carb options for the holidays too, this zucchini bake is perfect and so simple to prepare!
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 1/2 pounds zucchini, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 8 ounces plain cream cheese
- 3/4 cup vegetable broth (or water)
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a small microwave bowl, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter. Stir the panko breadcrumbs until well-combined and set aside.
- In a non-stick skillet, melt the remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium high heat. Add the zucchini and saute for about 5 minutes. Transfer the zucchini to the baking dish.
- Place the skillet back onto the stove. Add the cream cheese and broth (or water). Stir until melted and smooth. Stir in the garlic powder, salt, Italian seasoning, and the shredded cheese. Pour the cheese sauce on top of the zucchini and stir to combine. Pour the melted butter and panko mixture on top of the zucchini.
- Bake the zucchini for 20-25 minutes until bubbly and the zucchini is tender and the top is golden. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 270Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 14gCholesterol: 67mgSodium: 635mgCarbohydrates: 7gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 10g