Cheddar Jalapeno Bread
When it comes to bread making, I prefer that of the quick variety. I know, I’m so lazy and I realize that making homemade bread is really not that difficult and there is nothing better than homemade yeast bread, I just don’t make it very often. Quick breads are totally my jam though and I make them a lot. This cheddar jalapeno version though is my first savory quick bread and it’s a definite keeper!
At first, I wasn’t sure what to really eat this with. With sweet quick breads, they are great for breakfast or a treat, but savory? Then I had a total DUH moment. This savory bread is the perfect accompaniment with soups and chili recipes. I like it served warm with a little smear of butter.
One quick note – when I made this, I only used one jalapeno. After tasting the bread though, I really wanted more jalapeno flavor. And for the record, while I’m okay with spicy foods, I’m not big on a TON of spiciness. So, as someone more in the middle of the road on spiciness, if you don’t like a lot of heat, you can just use one jalapeno, but if you don’t mind the spice and flavor, I’d use two jalapeno peppers.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 large egg, beaten
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1-2 jalapeno peppers, seeds removed and diced
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a 9×5 loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside. In a large bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking powder, and the salt.
- Make a well in the center and pour in the buttermilk, the egg, and the melted butter. Stir until just-combined with the dry ingredients. Gently fold in the cheese and diced jalapeno until incorporated. Transfer the mixture to the loaf pan and spread into an even layer. If desired, sprinkle a small handful of additional cheese on top.
- Bake the bread for 45-50 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Let cool for at least 30 minutes before slicing. Serve warm (can reheat in microwave or oven at 350 degrees F for 3-5 minutes).
Serving Size:1 slice (when cut into 10)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 251Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 0gCholesterol: 50mgSodium: 290mgCarbohydrates: 27gFiber: 1gSugar: 4gProtein: 9g