I’m finally back home after non-stop traveling for the last 3 weeks! As most of you probably already know, traveling is usually synonymous with eating poorly. Too much going out, eating larger portions than normal, and not making the best choices. You know how it goes. So, it’s time to get back to a healthy diet!
I adore bruschetta. I especially love during the summer. I love those fresh tomatoes, fresh basil, ridiculous amounts of garlic, it’s all so wonderful! Oh, and let’s not forget the warm toasty bread. It’s like all of my favorite things in one delicious bite! While the tomato mixture is healthy, obviously the bread part…eh…not so much. I’ve been trying to find other ways to enjoy my favorite appetizer without all of the carbs. This bruschetta chicken is perfect because it’s low in fat and quick to make. And the best part is that all of those delicious chunky tomatoes will fill you up fast! I only made one large chicken breast and cut it in half to make two pieces, but then I usually make extra of the bruschetta topping because it’s so yummy and I really like to pile it on the chicken!
For the bruschetta:
- 2 medium sized roma or plum tomatoes, remove skins and seeds
- 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tbs. basil, chopped into chiffonade
- salt to taste
For the chicken:
- 1 large chicken breast, trimmed, and cut in half
- 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 slices mozzarella cheese (about 1/4 inch thick)
- To make the bruschetta, chop tomatoes and add to small bowl. Combine all other ingredients. Refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Combine olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper, and lemon juice in a quart-size freezer bag or pie dish. Add chicken and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Heat grill or sautee pan to medium high heat. Spray pan with non-stick cooking spray. Add chicken and cook for approximately 5 minutes on each side. Add cheese and remove from grill or pan when cheese is almost melted (it will continue to melt for a few minutes after you remove from the heat). Top with bruschetta and serve!