Browned Butter Butternut Squash Ravioli
I’m convinced that if you toss anything in browned butter, it’s almost a guarantee that it’s going to be good. Ok, obviously that’s not totally true, but let’s be honest, it’s like 95% true.
Tossing butternut squash ravioli in brown butter is truly the best combo ever. It has everything you could want in a fall pasta dish between the rich butternut squash ravioli and the warm, nutty flavors from the browned butter. I also add fresh sage leaves that get all crispy in the butter and toasted pine nuts. And the best thing about this dish is that it’s ready in 20 minutes or less thanks to using store-bought ravioli.
I know, some of you may be asking why didn’t I make the ravioli homemade, right? Well, because I’m tired and I don’t want to! But, seriously, you can make them homemade if you want, or you can buy them at pretty much any grocery store in the fresh pasta section. I always see butternut squash ravioli, but if for some reason you can’t find it, regular old cheese ravioli would work well here too!
I’m loving this recipe for a really fast weeknight dinner, but you could certainly add other things to make it more substantial if you wanted or you could serve as more of a side dish.
- About 12 ounces packaged butternut squash ravioli
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 6 sage leaves, chiffonade
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- salt and pepper to taste
- grated or shaved Parmesan cheese
- Prepare ravioli according to package directions. While the ravioli is cooking, prepare the brown butter sauce. Drain the ravioli once cooked.
- Melt the butter in a non-stick skillet over medium heat, stirring constantly. Once hot and melted, add the shallot, sage leaves, and the pine nuts. Cook the sage leaves and pine nuts for about 2 minutes until the leaves are crispy and the pine nuts are lightly toasted. Use a slotted spoon to remove the sage and pine nuts and set aside.
- Continue cooking the butter until it begins to turn golden and has a nutty fragrance. Add the cooked ravioli to the pan and toss with the browned butter. Stir in the crispy sage leaves and pine nuts. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve with Parmesan cheese.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 278 Total Fat: 23g Saturated Fat: 11g Trans Fat: 0g Cholesterol: 48mg Sodium: 213mg Carbohydrates: 16g Fiber: 3g Sugar: 2g Protein: 4g