Christmas morning breakfast is a big deal in my house. It’s always such a busy morning with opening gifts and getting ready for the day, but a nice breakfast is important! Opening gifts with our loved ones is always a special time and I think it’s important to savor each and every moment of it so having a nice (but easy!) breakfast is an integral part of the holiday to enjoy after or while opening gifts. This breakfast casserole definitely fits the bill!
While I feel like I often do sweeter holiday breakfasts, this year I’m going savory with this breakfast casserole! It’s loaded with sausage, hash browns, eggs, and cheese! What’s not to love about that?! Although it may seem like a lot of steps, this casserole is really very simple to prepare. If you want to do any prep the night before, you can cook the sausage. You can also save time the morning of by just using thawed hash browns, but I really prefer to cook them a bit before as they get a bit of a crunch to them as they brown. I recommend prepping the casserole early in the morning and then let it cook while opening gifts so it’s ready to go when you are done!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow onion
- 1 pound ground sausage (hot, mild, or sweet)
- 30-32 ounces frozen hash browns
- 1 teaspoon salt (plus more as needed)
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 large eggs
- fresh chives or green onion
- In a non-stick pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook for two minutes. Add the ground sausage, season lightly with salt, breaking it up with a spatula, and cook until browned, about 5-7 minutes. This step can be done the night before if needed.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with non-stick spray and set aside. Heat the hash browns according to the package directions. Season with a 1/2 teaspoon of the salt and the pepper.
- Layer half of the hash browns on the bottom of the pan. Then sprinkle half of the sausage followed by 1 cup of the cheese. Repeat this step with remaining ingredients.
- Whisk the eggs together in a bowl. Stir in the other 1/2 teaspoon of salt. Pour the eggs over the casserole.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes until the casserole is heated and the eggs are cooked.