There’s a little restaurant near our house that makes great cocktails and my personal favorite is their Blueberry Buck. A buck cocktail is typically made with ginger ale or ginger beer and can be mixed with a number of different base liquors like whiskey, gin, or bourbon. You could also use vodka which is technically considered a Moscow mule.
This cocktail is made with some fresh blueberry syrup, ginger beer, and whiskey. I like to garnish with some fresh blueberries and mint leaves. The blueberry syrup is very simple to make, all you need is fresh blueberries, sugar, water, and about 5 minutes. I make it in advance so it has time to cool and thicken and I like to make extra for larger batches. If you want to skip this step, you can buy blueberry syrup for cocktails at a liquor store or you can also mix in some blueberry liqueur.
This vibrant drink is perfect for summer sipping!
Recipe Tips and Suggestions:
- If whiskey isn’t your thing, you can swap it for gin, bourbon, or even vodka.
- This recipe can easily be doubled, tripled, etc. to make a larger batch for a pitcher to serve a crowd. Just give it a good stir every so often.
- The blueberry syrup can be made a day or two in advance if needed. Store in a jar or container in the fridge to keep fresh.
For the blueberry syrup:
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 cup water
- 3/4 cup fresh blueberries
For the blueberry buck:
- 4 tablespoons blueberry syrup
- 4 ounces whiskey
- 1 1/2 cups ginger beer
- fresh blueberries
- mint leaves
- First prepare the blueberry syrup (this can be done in advance). Add the sugar and water to a small saucepan and stir together to dissolve the sugar. Turn heat to medium high. Stir in the blueberries. Bring to a light boil, about 5-7 minutes. Remove from the heat. Use a masher to mash the blueberries. Then, strain the syrup through a fine mesh sieve. Store the syrup in a container or jar, let cool for about 10-15 minutes, cover and chill to thicken, at least one hour (or overnight).
- In a cocktail mixer, add the blueberry syrup and whiskey. Cover and shake. Pour into two glasses over ice. Top each glass with the ginger beer and stir gently. Garnish with fresh blueberries and mint leaves if desired.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 364Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 14mgCarbohydrates: 60gFiber: 0gSugar: 46gProtein: 0g