Berry Mini Pies
I can’t believe it’s already June and that means the 4th of July is right around the corner. I think Maddie is still too young for fireworks this year seeing as she goes to bed by 7:30, but that doesn’t mean we can’t celebrate during the day with a lot of good food!
Instead of making a regular pie, I thought it would be fun to make these festive little mini pies! I stuffed them with strawberries and blueberries and cut the pies into cute little stars to keep with a patriotic theme, but these are really quite versatile. You can use any shape and stuff them with any berry you’d like or even do a combo of berries! It’s up to you. I took a shortcut here and used refrigerated pie crust, but if you are against that, you can always make your own pie dough. I served my mini pies with some homemade whipped cream mixed with vanilla bean paste. These are the perfect summer dessert and you don’t need a plate or fork to eat them!
Can we also please talk about how much I love that little hand? Maddie has been all about watching and “helping” me take my blog photos lately. And by helping, I actually mean eating and destroying every set up, but whatever. I just so happened to catch her hand in the exact right moment for this photo!
- 2 cups diced berries (strawberries, raspberries, blueberries)
- 3 tablespoons granulated sugar (or raw sugar)
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 2 refrigerated pie crusts
- flour for dusting
- 1/4 cup milk
- raw sugar for sprinkling
- whipped cream
- Preheat oven to 350F. Line cookie sheet with parchment paper or a baking mat.
- Stir together the berries, sugar, and lemon juice. Set aside.
- On a lightly floured surface, unroll pie crusts and cut dough with cookie cutter (about 3-inches wide). Reroll scraps as necessary. Place half of the cut dough pieces on the cookie sheet.
- Scoop about 1 tablespoon of the filling into the middle of each piece on the cookie sheet. Then place the extra dough pieces on top of each pie. Use the back of a fork to press down around the edges of each pie to seal. Brush tops of the pies with milk. Sprinkle the tops with raw sugar. Bake for about 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool at least 10 minutes before serving. Serve with whipped cream for dipping.
Please note the actual amount of pies you can get out of this recipe may depend on the size and shape of the cookie cutter you use.
Serving Size:1 mini pie (14 pies total)
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 168Total Fat: 7gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 4gCholesterol: 1mgSodium: 106mgCarbohydrates: 25gFiber: 2gSugar: 5gProtein: 3g