Banana Snack Cake
I am about to get really excited talking about this cake and you guys are going to think I am totally weird because it doesn’t look all that exciting, but oh my gahhhhh, it’s so good!
This cake is one of my most favorite things I have baked in a while I think. And that is saying a lot considering it’s just a simple banana cake. I call it a snack cake because while I wouldn’t say it’s the most healthy thing on the planet, it’s also not quite a full blown dessert cake with loads of fat and sugar so I am calling it a snack cake. We all good with that?
So why is this cake special? Well, it’s so light and fluffy with just the right amount of sweetness. It also is made with Greek yogurt for some protein! At less than 250 calories for a generous-sized slice, this cake could be eaten for breakfast with a cup of coffee, an after school snack, or even with a glass of milk of dessert. Adults and kiddos can all enjoy it! Gotta love a cake that can be so versatile, right?! I added sliced almonds for an added bit of texture, but you could also add walnuts or just leave it plain! I seriously could not stop sneaking back for more and more of this cake!
Banana Snack Cake
- 1 cup ripe bananas, mashed (about 2 bananas)
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt (I used non-fat)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1/3 cup light brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups flour (can also sub or combine whole wheat flour)
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup sliced almonds (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray an 8×8 baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside. In a large bowl, mix together the mashed bananas, vegetable oil, yogurt, vanilla, and the egg. Stir in the brown sugar.
- In a separate bowl, stir together the flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and the salt. Fold in the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients until just combined then gently fold in the almonds. Pour the batter into the baking dish. Bake for about 25 minutes or until the cake is lightly golden and a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
Nutrition (per serving): Calories: 242.2; Fat: 9.6g; Carbs: 21.6g; Protein: 6.3g; Sugars: 5.3g