Apple Tuna Bites
I’ve been really trying to watch my carbs lately and it’s not always easy, especially for lunch when grabbing a quick sandwich is so simple. I eat a ton of salads for lunch, but sometimes I need a salad break! I’ve been trying to think of other ways to enjoy some of my favorite sandwich fillings without all the bread.
I love adding chopped apples to tuna and chicken salad so instead of chopping it up and adding it in with the tuna salad, why not just eat it on top of a slice of apple?! This barely qualifies as a real recipe, but I wanted to share it with you guys because I’ve really been loving this lately and it is so easy to do for a quick, gluten-free lunch. I made a very simple tuna salad, but you can dress it up with other add-ins if you would prefer. It works with tuna or chicken salad and you can really use any type of apple is your favorite!
- 5 ounces tuna, drained
- 2 tablespoons plain Greek yogurt (or mayo)
- 2 tablespoons diced red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- optional add-ins: chopped nuts, dried cranberries, etc.
- 1 apple (I like honeycrisp or red delicious), sliced, core removed
- Add the tuna, yogurt, onion, celery, and the lemon juice to a bowl and mix well. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spoon some of the mixture on top of each apple slice. Serve.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 377 Total Fat: 11g Saturated Fat: 2g Cholesterol: 45mg Sodium: 108mg Carbohydrates: 26g Fiber: 6g Sugar: 18g Protein: 42g