Apple Cranberry Stuffing
Oh, stuffing. You are, by far, my most favorite Thanksgiving side dish.
I think if you handed me a bowl of stuffing and that was it, I would probably be satisfied. If you looked at my Thanksgiving plate, you would probably notice that like half of it is consumed with stuffing. It’s kind of embarrassing really.
And my stuffing MUST include apples. It just has to. This is non-negotiable. Both my mom and dad have always made stuffing with apples so for me it, it’s just the way it has to be! And this time, it also includes another Thanksgiving favorite of mine, cranberries! I always pile fresh cranberry sauce all over my stuffing anyway, so it makes sense to just add it directly to my stuffing from the start! While my favorite stuffing recipe contains a lot of butter and eggs, this version does not and is a much lighter alternative to other stuffing recipes. If you want your stuffing to stick together more, you could always add in a few eggs if you wanted to, but either way, it’s a very flavorful stuffing and I didn’t miss the more fattening ingredients, especially with the tangy cranberries!
- 4 cups whole wheat bread, cubed
- 4 cups white bread, cubed
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 cup chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 2 tsp. chopped fresh sage
- 1 tsp. chopped fresh thyme
- 3 apples, peeled, cored, and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh cranberries, roughly chopped
- salt to taste
- 2 tbs. butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spread cubed bread out on a baking sheet. Bake for about 5 minutes or until the bread is lightly toasted. Scoop the toasted bread into a large bowl and set aside.
- In a sauce pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Saute the onion for about 5 minutes or until translucent. Add in the sage and thyme and cook for another 2 minutes.
- In the bowl with the cubed bread, add the onion mixture, diced apples and cranberries. Mix well. Pour in the chicken broth and mix until the bread is moistened. Add in salt to taste.
- Pour the mixture into a large baking dish. Chop the butter into small cubes and distribute evenly over the stuffing. Cover with foil.
- Bake for about 30 minutes. Remove the foil and cook for another 15 minutes.
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 188Total Fat: 6gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 3gCholesterol: 8mgSodium: 401mgCarbohydrates: 30gFiber: 4gSugar: 10gProtein: 5g