Apple Cranberry Sauce
I think November should be nicknamed “Cranberry Month” since I am giving you yet another cranberry recipe. Sorry, but I wanted you guys to have this one before Thanksgiving. Wednesday’s post will not contain any cranberries, I promise!
We did most of our Thanksgiving shopping this past weekend. We went earlier in the morning and by the time we were done, the store was getting packed. I can’t stand crowds in general, but I really can’t stand crowds in a grocery store. You can’t move down the aisles and there is always somebody in the way of what you want to grab.
I’m a huge fan of cranberry sauce. It’s a must on my Thanksgiving table. I put it on pretty much everything on my plate and I can never get enough! I typically find that I am in the minority being a cranberry sauce fan which is fine with me because that just means I get more of it!! I typically just do plain cranberry sauce with some orange, but there’s a lot of possibilities. Apples and cranberries pair so wonderfully together in most recipes I have found and pairing them in this sauce is no different. The apples balance out the tanginess of the cranberries and also add some texture to the sauce.
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries
- 1 large apple (I used Fuji), peeled, cored, and cut into cubes
- 1 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- 1 tablespoon orange zest (optional)
- Combine the cranberries, apples, sugar, water, orange juice, cinnamon and orange zest (if using) in a sauce pan. Heat on medium and bring the mixture to a light boil, lower the heat and continue to simmer until the cranberries are soft and burst, about 10-12 minutes, stirring every so often.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a serving bowl. Let cool completely (sauce will thicken as it cools).
If you don’t want to use so much sugar, you can sub maple syrup. I have done half sugar, half maple syrup and it works just fine!
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 108Total Fat: 0gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 0gCholesterol: 0mgSodium: 2mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 2gSugar: 24gProtein: 0g