Apple Cinnamon Pancakes
I know I just posted another breakfast recipe last week, but what can I say? I love breakfast! It’s definitely the most important meal of the day and today I’ve got a breakfast that’s screams fall and it’s not pumpkin! I love all things pumpkin, but I also love apple everything this time of year, maybe sometimes even more than pumpkin things. These apple cinnamon pancakes are basically everything good in life!
First we start out with fluffy buttermilk pancakes with cinnamon and then we top a stack with a big scoop of warm, buttery apples. Gah! I’m drooling just thinking about it! My plan at first was to add the apples directly to the batter, which you can certainly do if you want. Then I decided I liked the idea of a big pile of tender apples on top instead so I went with an apple topping. I made the pancakes from scratch, but if you want to take a shortcut, you can certainly use your favorite pancake mix and just add cinnamon to it. This is the perfect breakfast to ring in the new season! This recipe serves 4, but it can easily be doubled to feed a bigger group
For the pancakes:
- 1⅓ cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 large eggs
- 1¼ cups buttermilk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted
For the apple topping:
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 apples, peeled, cored, and diced (I like honeycrisp)
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 2-3 tablespoons sugar
- pinch of salt
- In a mixing bowl, whisk the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. In another bowl, whisk together the eggs, buttermilk, and butter. Add the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Prepare the apple topping. Melt the butter in a non-stick saute pan over medium heat. Add the apples, cinnamon, sugar, and salt and toss until the apples are coated. Cook the apples for about 3-5 minutes or until tender. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Heat a griddle or large skillet over medium heat and brush with butter or oil. Working in batches, scoop about 1/3 cupfuls of batter onto griddle. Cook pancakes until bottoms are golden brown and bubbles form on top, about 3 minutes. Flip and cook until cooked through and other side of pancakes are golden brown, about 2-3 minutes longer.
- Divide the pancakes on plates. Spoon the apple topping evenly on top of the pancakes. Drizzle with syrup and serve.
Serving Size:2 pancakes with topping
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 498Total Fat: 15gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 6gCholesterol: 127mgSodium: 931mgCarbohydrates: 83gFiber: 4gSugar: 41gProtein: 10g