One of my favorite things to eat during the summer are antipasto salads, platters, anything antipasto. I adore the simplicity of all of the ingredients with a glass of cool crisp white wine. Perfect for lunch or an easy summer dinner while enjoying the weather.
These antipasto skewers are quite simple to make, and best of all, people eat them up fast!
I added cheese tortellini to these skewers. Not a typical antipasto ingredient I realize, but they work really well on these skewers. I like to buy the fresh tortellini from the refrigerated section as opposed to the hard pasta. It cooks faster and in my opinion, tastes better!
I also prefer black olives to green, but of course, if you prefer green, use them instead or you can also do a combo! For the meat, I went with pepperoni since I always have it in my fridge. Of course, salami works just as well or you could even do other deli meats like turkey. The baby mozzarella balls are also a must for these! Cherry tomatoes and fresh basil finish them off.
The most important part of making these is marinating the cheese, tortellini, olives, and tomatoes. It makes the skewers much more flavorful so I really don’t recommend skipping this step. My marinade is just olive oil, red wine vinegar, salt, Italian seasoning, and a pinch of garlic powder. I mix it all up in a bowl and let it sit for about 30 minutes.
I also highly recommend a drizzle of good balsamic vinegar on top right before serving for added deliciousness! These antipasto skewers are perfect for any summer party!
- 5 ounces fresh cheese tortellini
- 20 extra large black olives (or green olives)
- 20 cherry tomatoes
- 20 mini mozzarella balls
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1-2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- salt and pepper
- 30 slices pepperoni
- basil leaves bunch
- 10 wooden skewers
- balsamic vinegar (for drizzling, optional)
- Cook the tortellini according to package directions. Drain when cooked and let cool for about 5 minutes.
- Add the cooked tortellini, black olives, tomatoes, and mozzarella balls to a bowl. Set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the olive oil, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, vinegar, and salt to taste. Pour the mixture over the tortellini mixture and stir until everything is well-coated. Let the mixture marinate for about 1 hour.
- Take each skewer and thread 2 olives, 2 mozzarella balls, 2 tortellini, 3-4 slices of pepperoni, and a few leaves of basil on onto each skewer in desired order (I varied mine, but you can make them all the same!). Chill the skewers until ready to serve. If desired, drizzle some balsamic vinegar over the skewers before serving.
Serving Size:1 skewer
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 297Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 10gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 10gCholesterol: 57mgSodium: 596mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 2gProtein: 16g