Vanilla Chai Cupcakes
Today is a celebration.
Ok, well, actually, May 19th should have been the celebration, but that pesky dissertation I have been working on got in the way of all the fun! I know, how terrible am I? But, better late than never, right?! So without further ado…
Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday to you, Happy Birthday dear bloggyyyyyy! Happy Birthday to you!
Yeah, Eat. Drink. Love. is 1 year old! Starting this blog was one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. I had wanted to start one for years and I finally decided to just do it! This blog has become more than I thought it ever would and I am so thankful for each and every one of you who stop by to read my rants and recipes! Here’s to another great year of fun!!
I made these Chai Cupcakes for my friend and labmate, Melissa. Melissa defended her dissertation today and cupcakes were definitely in order! I’ve been holding onto this recipe just for her because like myself, she loves chai tea lattes! I don’t consider myself the best baker, but I was happy with how these turned out! The cake was very moist and not too sweet. It almost tastes like banana or pumpkin bread (even though there is no banana or pumpkin in the recipe). Hand me anything chai-flavored and I am a happy girl!!
Happy Birthday, Bloggy! And Congrats Dr. Melissa!
Vanilla Chai Cupcakes
Yield: 12 cupcakes
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Cook Time: 20 minutes
Total Time: 50 minutes
For chai spice mix:
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp. cloves
- 1/4 tsp. ground nutmeg
For the cupcakes:
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 quantity chai spice mix (recipe below)
- 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour, sifted
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 tsp. baking soda
- 1/2 tsp. apple cider vinegar
For the vanilla chai buttercream:
- 1 cup butter (2 sticks, softened)
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1/2 quantity chai spice mix
- 1-2 tbs. cold milk, if needed
For the cake:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Mix spices for the chai spice mix together in small bowl. Set aside.
- Cream together the butter and sugar. Add the vanilla and beat in one egg at a time.
- Stir in half the quantity of the chai spice mix.
- Fold in the flour and buttermilk and stir until combined, be careful not to over mix. Stir together the baking soda and apple cider vinegar and mix into the batter.
- Spoon into prepared cupcake cases until about 3/4 full and bake 15-20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
For the chai spice buttercream:
- In a stand mixer fitted with a paddle attachment, beat the butter until it is creamy. Mix in the vanilla and the rest of the chai spice mix. Beat in the confectioner's sugar t ½ cup at a time. If the buttercream seems too thick, add 1-2 tbs of cold milk until the frosting reaches your desired consistency. Frost or pipe the frosting on the cupcakes and eat!
Recipe from The Novice Chef