Celebrating the 4th of July is synonymous with burgers, hot dogs, desserts, chips, etc (you know, basically any junk food!). So by no means am I going to pretend we had a really healthy meal on the 4th of July. I mean, that would just be very un-American of me! We had southwestern burgers and strawberry and blueberry cobbler (those recipes will be posted soon), but I wanted to try to off-set the bad carbs and sugar with a side dish that I could feel better about eating! This three-bean salad is delicious and healthy and it’s a great substitute for mayo-ridden potato and pasta salads. It’s very easy to make and is perfect for summer picnics and BBQ’s!
Three Bean Salad
– 1 can black beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 can pinto beans, drained and rinsed
– 1 can garbanzo beans (chick peas), drained and rinsed
– 2 tbs. apple cider vinegar
– 2 tbs. balsamic vinegar
– 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
– 2 tbs. chopped cilantro
– salt and black pepper to taste
– Optional: 2 tsp. fresh lemon juice and finely chopped red onion
1. Drain and rinse beans in a colander. Transfer beans to a bowl. Add in all other ingredients and mix. Chill for 1 to 2 hours before serving.