Oh sweet Lord in heaven of all things that are good in this world….these brownies. I don’t even know what to say about them.
They are kind of amazing.
We had another work potluck party last week and needed a dessert. I brought brownies to the last party and everybody seemed to really like them, so I wanted to try another brownie recipe. The theme for this potluck was All-American. Tell me, what dessert screams summer and is more American than s’mores?! Exactly. Nothing. Don’t even try to tell me anything else.
These brownies taste just like a s’more and you don’t need a campfire to make them! They have all of the essential components. Graham cracker crust? Check. Chocolately brownie layer? Double check. Ooey Gooey marshmallow layer? Oh heck yes! Even days later, the marshmallows are still perfectly gooey!
The only thing I might do differently next time is do a slightly thinner graham cracker crust. I kind of wanted more brownie and less crust. But, since these still came out so good, I am giving you the recipe as I made it. If you want a thinner layer, go ahead and use a little less!
**Update: After getting some comments about the thickness of the batter, I recreated the recipe and made some changes as of 2/15/2014. I increased the butter and chocolate and cut down on the flour and sugar. The recipe below reflects these changes.
The campfire favorite - in a brownie!
Yield: About 28-30 brownies
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour, 5 minutes
For the graham cracker crust:
- 2 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 12 tablespoons melted unsalted butter
For the brownies:
- 8 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 8 ounces good quality bittersweet chocolate
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 10-ounce bag mini marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking dish with foil leaving some extra hanging off the sides. Lightly grease or spray with non-stick spray and set aside.
- To prepare the graham cracker crust, melt the butter in a microwave-safe bowl. Mix in the graham cracker crumbs and the sugar with the melted butter. Spread the mixture into the bottom of the baking dish, pressing down to create a crust in an even layer. Bake the crust for about 15 minutes or until golden. Remove the pan from the oven and set aside.
- While the crust is baking, prepare the brownie batter. Prepare a double boiler by placing a pot filled about half way with water on medium high heat. Place a glass bowl over the pot. Melt the butter and the chocolate together, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat and let cool for a couple of minutes.
- Beat in the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla extract. Stir in the flour, salt, and cocoa powder. Pour the brownie batter on top of the graham cracker crust. Bake for about 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out mostly clean.
- Switch the oven to broil. Pour the marshmallows over the brownies, arranging in an even layer. Place the pan into the oven and by watching very closely, broil until the marshmallows just begin to char. I highly recommend standing near the oven while you do this to ensure that the marshmallows do not burn, checking every 45 seconds or so.
- Remove from the oven and let the brownies cool completely. To remove, gently lift using the extra foil. Pull the foil away and cut into squares. Store in an airtight container.