Do you ever go to the grocery store and buy something without knowing if you really need it? For example, I do with cheese. I buying some every week because God forbid you run out of cheese, but I don’t need any more cheese. The other day, I found 7 bags of different shredded cheeses. Seven bags. WHY?! I do not know.
I am also guilty of doing this with lemons. I love lemons so much and use them in so many drinks and recipes, I have to have some handy at all times! This week I had 5 unused lemons staring at me. Some of them were looking to be on their last leg so it was time to use them up! So that is why we have this lovely lemon pound cake to share with you today!
Pound cakes are traditionally made with a pound of each ingredient in them. So, a whole pound of butter. I wanted to make a lower fat version, so this is really more of a 1/3 lb. cake…
Whatever you want to call it, this cake is perfectly lemony! I topped it with some fresh strawberry glaze. It is a great little cake to make for the summer!
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 cup light sour cream (you can also use Greek yogurt)
- zest of 2 lemons (about 1 /12 tbs.)
- 2 tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp. vanilla
- 6 tbs. unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 eggs at room temperature
- 4 large strawberries, stems removed
- 1 tbs. strawberry jam
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 cup powdered sugar, sifted
- Place the strawberries, jam, and lemon juice into a food processor and pulse until smooth. Pour the puree into a mixing bowl. Adding just a little bit at a time, stir in the sifted powdered sugar until everything is well-combined. You can make the glaze thinner by adding water or milk. If you want it to be thicker, add in more sifted powdered sugar. Place the glaze into the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Grease or spray a loaf pan with non-stick spray and set aside.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, and the salt. Set aside.
- In another bowl, stir together the lemon zest and the sour cream. Set that bowl aside.
- In yet another small bowl (yeah, a lot of bowls going on here...), stir together the eggs, vanilla, and the lemon juice. Set that bowl aside.
- Beat together the butter and sugar for about 1 minute. Pour in the eggs, lemon juice, and vanilla. Continue to beat together while everything combines (a stand mixer is handy here!). Add the sour cream and lemon zest and mix all of that in.
- Finally, adding a little bit a time, add in the flour mixture. Mix everything together until it is just combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared loaf pan. Bake for about 60-65 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean.
- Allow for the cake to cool for about 2 hours.
- You can pour the glaze on top of the whole cake, or you can cut it into slices and then top with the glaze, it's your choice! Serve with sliced strawberries and some light whipped cream if desired.