I’m always trying to think of new Mexican recipes to mix up. We love Mexican food in this house and often have tacos or quesadillas and occasionally enchiladas, but then I started thinking about Mexican Pizza the other day and decided to make some to change things up a bit!
My first experience with Mexican Pizza goes back to middle school. They served it for lunch at my school and I remember thinking it was weird and kind of gross, but that a lot of the other students really liked it. I’m not sure if it was because they just had bad taste, or maybe I just didn’t yet develop my love for all things Mexican. I mean, it was a school lunch, so there’s also that..
Anywho, I always see commercials for Mexican Pizza for Taco Bell and have continued to think it looked kind of blah. So I went ahead and made a healthier and fresher looking version. Instead of using beef, I used chicken and instead of using refried beans, I opted for fiber and protein-rich black beans and low-carb tortillas. The chicken filling is packed with flavor thanks to homemade taco seasoning and the addition of salsa. It’s entirely possible that the chicken filling almost didn’t make it into the tortillas because I just kept eating it straight from the pan!
This dish comes together in about 30 minutes, making it perfect for quick weeknight meals. It’s kid-friendly too! You can certainly play with the ingredients using ground beef or turkey if desired and can add in other fillings. You can also use different sized tortillas, using smaller ones for individual pizzas, for example. This is a Mexican Pizza I can finally get on board with!
Yield: serves 3-4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 1 pound ground chicken breast
- 2 tablespoons taco seasoning (homemade or packaged)
- 1 cup unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- up to 1 1/2 cups salsa, divided
- 4 9-inch flour tortillas
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- black olives, sliced avocado, green onion, sour cream, cilantro (for garnish)
- In a saute pan, heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onion and cook until translucent, about 2-3 minutes. Add in the ground chicken and break up with a spatula as it cooks. Add in the taco seasoning and stir. Continue cooking the chicken for about 5 minutes. Then stir in the black beans and 1/3 cup of the salsa. Cook for another 4-5 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Place two of the tortillas down on the pan. Divide the chicken mixture evenly on top of each tortilla. Place the other two tortillas on top. Divide the remaining salsa on top of the two top tortillas and spread to cover the entire top. Feel free to use more salsa if desired. Divide the cheese and sprinkle over the salsa. Put the pizzas in the oven under the broiler and cook until the cheese is melted and bubbly (about 4 minutes). Remove and let stand for 2 minutes. Slice each pizza into 4 pieces. Serve with desired garnishes.