If I had to rank my favorite Christmas cookies, Magic Bars would definitely be towards the very top of my list. They are so simple to make, but I just adore that graham cracker crust topped with sweetened condensed milk, coconut, and chocolate chips. It’s just a dreamy combo!
I’m really excited about baking this holiday season because I now have a little 2 year-old girl who wants to help me in the kitchen and it’s my dream come true! It’s been years since I put together a cookie tray, but I’m determined to do it this year. Madeline made me drag out a stool so she could see what I was doing on the counter. She helped me spread the graham cracker crumbs and with sprinkling all the coconut, half of which really ended up on the floor each time she reached for a handful. She also enjoyed eating the chocolate chips and M&M’s. The mess on the floor after we got the bars into the oven was laughable, but so worth it!
I made this particular batch for a holiday cookie party, so I opted for the colored chocolate chips, but regular chocolate chips are just fine! Because I don’t know when to stop, I also threw on some festive M&M’s on half after they came out of the oven for even more holiday fun and deliciousness!
Yield: 24 bars
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 35 minutes
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 1/2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 1 can (14-ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 2 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1 1/2 cups shredded or flaked coconut
- 3/4 cup chopped pecans or walnuts (optional)
- M&M's (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x13 baking dish with non-stick spray. Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the melted butter and the graham cracker crumbs until well-combined. Add the crumbs to the pan, spread evenly and push down to form a crust.
- Pour the sweetened condensed milk evenly over the crust. Then layer with the chocolate chips and then the coconut. Press down with a fork.
- Bake for about 25-30 minutes until the top is golden brown. I recommend letting the bars cool before cutting.
If using M&M's, I recommend adding them a minute after the bars come out of the oven so they don't melt!