Flashback Friday: Lemony Chicken Pasta
Did any of you watch Once Upon a Time in Wonderland last night? What did you think? I thought it was okay, but I thought it was really weird to have Jafar in it. I mean, if you watch the regular Once Upon a Time, it would make sense since they have had a lot of different characters (though I think they might be starting to push it too far…), but this show is just Wonderland, so why the heck is Jafar there? It’s weird, okay? I’m just waiting for Robin Williams to pop up next and then I am done.
I hope you guys have been enjoying the Flashback Friday posts. I know I am! When it comes to blogging, we are always trying to think of brand spanking new recipes to try and then end up with hundreds of recipes, half of which I have forgotten about. I am loving these posts as it allows for me to make some of my older recipes. I keep looking back in my archives and am like, “Whoa, I totally forgot about that one and it’s so good!”.
This Lemony Chicken Pasta is a perfect example. I have said about ten thousand times now that I am kind of obsessed with anything that involves copious amounts of lemon juice and this pasta dish contains plenty of it! The sauce is slightly creamy, but contains no heavy cream so it’s also lower in fat. I throw spinach in mine, but you could really toss in any veggies you want.
Lemony Chicken Pasta
Yield: serves 4
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Cook Time: 25 minutes
Total Time: 40 minutes
- 1/2 lb. pasta
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 2 lemons
- 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese, shredded
- 1 lb. cooked chicken, diced or sliced into thin strips
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a pot, cook pasta according the the package instructions. While pasta is cooking, heat the olive oil in a medium saute pan on medium heat. Add the onion and cook for about 2-3 minutes until translucent. Add the garlic and cook for 30 seconds. Add the flour and toss to coat all of the onion and garlic.
- Add the broth, milk, juice of one lemon, 1/4 cup of the Parmesan cheese. Stir until well-mixed. Add the spinach and chicken. The sauce should thicken. Remove the pasta from the water, drain, and then add to the pan with the sauce and chicken. Toss to coat. Add the zest of one lemon, red pepper flakes, and salt and pepper to taste.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving bowl. Sprinkle the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese and serve with additional lemon wedges.