I’m not sure about you guys, but I am totally exhausted from working in the kitchen all day yesterday prepping for the Super Bowl. Our spread consisted of cheese, cheese, and more cheese! I think we also spent more time watching the Puppy Bowl, which was way more entertaining for me quite frankly!
I made this chicken pepperoni-marinara for dinner a few days ago and it was super super delicious! Hubs and I both had two servings! Whenever I make a new recipe for dinner, I always ask him if it is “a make-again-meal.” We both agreed that this is a dinner we would love to have again! What I really like about this recipe is that it is a mix between Chicken Parmesan and pizza, but without all the carbs! I served mine with a side of low-carb pasta, but veggies and a salad would also be great!
– 1/2 tsp. garlic, minced
– 16 slices pepperoni, chopped plus more for garnish (I used turkey pepperoni)
– 1/4 tsp. dried oregano
– 1 1/2 cups marinara sauce (canned or homemade)
– 2 tbs. basil, chopped
– 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
– 1 1/2 lbs. chicken breasts (If thick, I cut mine in half for faster cooking time)
– salt and pepper to taste
– 1 cup reduced-fat mozzarella cheese, shredded
1. Heat a sauce pan on medium-high heat. Spray the pan with cooking spray. Add the the garlic and pepperoni and cook for 2 minutes until the garlic begins to brown. Add the oregano and stir. Add the tomato sauce and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the pan from the heat and set aside.
2. Heat a large oven-safe skillet on medium-high heat. Add the olive oil. Sprinkle both sides of the chicken with some salt and pepper. Cook the chicken on each side about 3-5 minutes until the chicken is cooked thoroughly. Spoon the sauce on top of the chicken. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the chicken. Add additional slices of pepperoni on top. Broil for 2 minutes until the cheese melts. Garnish with the basil. Serve with pasta or veggies!