Flashback Friday: Buffalo Chicken Bites
When I moved from Florida to Phoenix, I was told that it would be so much better for someone with allergies like myself. Um, they were so so wrong. I have been feeling like absolute crap for a week straight now. I can’t stop sneezing. My eyes are itchy. I’m really tired. And my asthma is out of control. What is this all about? Dust? I don’t know, but it’s horrible!
Aside from it being allergy season, football season has officially started! Some of you may care, some may not, but regardless of how you feel about football, there’s no denying that one of the best parts about football season is the food!
Florida State had their first game last weekend and luckily it was on ESPN so we could watch it. Instead of making a full dinner, we had a lot of munchies, these baked buffalo chicken bites included!
I think I have told you guys before that I am not a huge fan of buffalo sauce, but my husband is so I try to make some buffalo chicken recipes for him. I actually like these bites. They are a little time consuming because you have to roll each bite into the breading mixture, but these are really so much better than all the fried stuff or the frozen section of appetizers! These are also great because they aren’t really too high in fat and calories! It’s a win all the way around!
Buffalo Chicken Bites
- 3 cups cooked chicken, shredded (I used rotisserie chicken)
- 3 ounces fat-free or reduced fat cream cheese, softened
- 3/4 cup reduced fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce (depending on how much buffalo flavor you want)
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 cups panko bread crumbs
- Optional: 1/4 cup green onion, sliced
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Prepare a large baking sheet with a baking mat or parchment paper. In a large bowl, combine the chicken, cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and the buffalo sauce (and onion, if using).
- Add the flour, eggs, and panko to three separate shallow bowls. Take the chicken mixture and roll into 1 1/2-2 inch balls. Roll each ball in the flour, then the egg, and then the panko. Place on a baking sheet and spray around each ball with olive oil spray (this helps brown the panko crumbs) and bake for about 15 minutes, then turn the balls over and bake for another 5 or 10 minutes until they are golden brown. Serve with ranch or blue cheese dressing for dipping!!
Serving Size: 1 bite; Calories per serving: 75; Fat per serving: 3.5g
Original Post: Buffalo Chicken Bites