No-Bake Energy Bites

No-Bake Energy Bites

So it turns out that when you try to take pictures of brown balls, they either look like a). meatballs or b). poo. Yes, I just said poo in a food blog. Forgive me.

No-Bake Energy Bites

But really, these are neither of those things. They are tasty little no-bake energy bites that I can’t stop eating. And the great thing about them is that they are healthy! These little bites are packed with fiber, antioxidants, and omega-3 fatty acids. These bites will fill you up and satisfy any sugar cravings (without there actually being a ton of sugar in them). And at only 90 calories per bite, you don’t have to feel guilty about eating them! They would also be perfect for an after-school snack for your kiddos.

No-Bake Energy Bites

Since these bites are no-bake, feel free to play around with the ingredients! I just added some mini chocolate chips to mine, but you could also add raisins, dried fruits, coconut, or nuts. Oh, and did I mention that they are also gluten-free and vegan?! You can’t go wrong with these little bites, so go make a batch right now!

No-Bake Energy Bites

No-Bake Energy Bites

Yield: about 20 bites

Prep Time: 10 minutes (plus chill time)

• 1 cup quick oats (use gluten-free oats if you want to for these to be gluten-free)
  • 1/2 cup natural peanut butter (or any nut butter of your choice)
  • 1/4 cup agave nectar (you can also use honey or maple syrup)
  • 1 tbs. melted coconut oil
  • 1 tbs. chia seeds
  • 2 tbs. flax seed meal
  • 3 tbs. mini chocolate chips
  • pinch of salt
  • 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
  • Other optional add-ins: raisins, nuts, dried fruits, coconut

1. In a large bowl, mix together all of the ingredients until well-combined. Cover and refrigerate the mixture for about 30 minutes.
  2. Using your hands, roll the mixture into balls. Mine were about 1-1 1/2-inch in diameter.
  3. Place the bites into an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for about 1 week.

Serving Size: 1 bite; Calories per serving: 90; Fat per serving: 5.3 g

No-Bake Energy Bites

53 Responses to “No-Bake Energy Bites”

Ramona — April 12, 2013 at 7:33 am

I heard how good Chia seeds are… I must make this delicious pick me up… I need it these days. :) Have a fantastic weekend my friend. :)

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 12, 2013 at 8:37 am

I make no bake energy balls all of the time! I love them!! Great recipe!!

Gloria Payne — April 12, 2013 at 8:45 am

Could tell me the nutritional value, total fat, carb, total fiber, and protein. Thanks you

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — April 12, 2013 at 9:29 am

I love no bake energy bites! They are perfect to have on hand to snack on!

Anna @ hiddenponies — April 12, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Hahaha, my kids and I looove these, and my husband won’t eat them because they look like poo :) Love it :)

Emily Lynne @ The Best of this Life — April 12, 2013 at 2:53 pm no-bakes!! These look awesome :) I love using no-bake cookies with coconut ice cream…it’s like the healthiest version of cookies n cream ice cream! Have a great weekend!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 12, 2013 at 5:13 pm

Such a fabulous idea to add chia seeds to these! I have a similar recipe but I love that you adapted yours to use coconut oil and agave nectar. Delish!

Ari @ Ari's Menu — April 12, 2013 at 10:09 pm

I love snacks like this! And even more, I love that you said poo. It just made me like you even more. :)

Gourmet Getaways — April 12, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Oh these are such healthy treats, I should make them for my children’s lunchbox when they go back to school… and no they don’t look like poo, I think it is a gorgeous image ;)

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — April 13, 2013 at 9:52 am

I think they look amazing!

Liz — April 13, 2013 at 1:06 pm

Haha…yeah, brown foods are never easy to photograph. BUT your energy balls DO look wonderful…and sound so yummy, too. I need a stash in my house :)

Choc Chip Uru — April 14, 2013 at 12:32 am

I think you did I a delicious job at photographing my friend :)
    These look too good!

easyfoodsmith — April 14, 2013 at 4:32 am

Oh my! These look lovely, delicious and so healthy too! Will sure try these. Thanx for sharing :-)

Rachel @ Bakerita — April 14, 2013 at 12:18 pm

Mmm, these sound like the perfect-pre workout snack! I definitely need to try them. Love how versatile they are. Pinned!

Suzanna — April 14, 2013 at 6:25 pm

One way to make them look prettier (and not like poo or meatballs) is to roll them in sesame seeds at the end. My yoga studio does this – they look quite nice!

• Stephanie replied: — April 15th, 2013 @ 12:34 am

That’s a great idea, Suzanna!

sweet-lab — April 14, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Ooooooh, this is just what I need in the morning! I’m saving this recipe!

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 15, 2013 at 5:53 am

love love love everything about these Stephanie! I wouldn’t be able to stop popping them one by one. So good!

I Wash You Dry — April 15, 2013 at 10:17 am

HAHA! These look fantastic, and nothing like poo! You’re a fantastic photographer, taking photos of brown stuff is just so hard! ;)

Hayley @ The Domestic Rebel — April 15, 2013 at 11:10 am

Hahaha they definitely don’t look like poo OR meatballs. Or poo meatballs, ew. They DO however, look totally delicious! Is it still healthy if you eat like, an entire batch in one sitting??

Jackie @ Domestic Fits — April 15, 2013 at 12:38 pm

Perfect road trip food!

Ashley — April 15, 2013 at 8:37 pm

I love snacks like this – sweet but not too sweet and easy to make. And you totally made me laugh with your description that they look like poo

Lyd — January 18, 2014 at 3:13 pm

These look great! Do you think these would be okay frozen?

• Stephanie replied: — January 21st, 2014 @ 6:32 pm

Cristian — November 1, 2014 at 3:01 pm

Firstly thank for posting these recipes. Im currently making these and am wondering why they need to be stored in the fridge for a week? Also if you could post the macro nutrients that would be great. Thanks

• Stephanie replied: — November 4th, 2014 @ 12:07 am

They do not need to be stored for a week, I just mean they are best eaten within one week of being made. I store mine in the fridge because it keeps them fresher and helps them keep their shape. You can plug the ingredients into any calorie counting website like My Fitness Pal or Spark Recipes to get the nutrition information.

Rensina — December 22, 2014 at 2:15 am

These are amazingly delicious…..and they only look a little like poo! :) But who cares…..they’re divine. Thanks a zillion.

Sarah — January 19, 2015 at 12:25 pm

any opinion on how these would hold up in a hard container in a gym bag until after school if packed in the morning? Or if packed from frozen state until after school? My idea is that my son needs energy for wrestling practice but not a full stomach because they workout so hard. ……

• Stephanie replied: — January 20th, 2015 @ 11:01 pm

Hi Sarah, I think freezing them first is a great idea. If they get too warm, they can be a little sticky and don’t stay together as well.

christie — March 14, 2015 at 11:03 pm

Just made these, added in coconut and cranberries
    …so good! Thanks for the recipe!

Kellsi — April 14, 2015 at 5:37 pm

Pardon my ignorance… but do you cook the oats first?

• Stephanie replied: — April 15th, 2015 @ 6:01 pm

Nope! No cooking required.

Malory — August 15, 2015 at 11:53 pm

Has anyone tried these with protein powder added in? I’m wondering how well that would work or if the measurements of any other ingredients would need to be adjusted. I’ve added protein powder to baked goods, but since these are no-bake, any ideas if it would work?

Lisa — August 29, 2015 at 3:29 am

These are so yummy, i added shredded coconut and substituted the flax seed meal with vanilla protein powder :)

Claire — September 16, 2015 at 12:12 pm

I just made these . Then are in the fridge setting. Can you tell me how many balls it should make please ? I’m not sure if I made mine too big ! Thank you

Sj — September 20, 2015 at 4:35 pm

Along with alot of oatmeal (the heavy coarse kind) have added salted sunflower seeds and chopped nuts and any dried fruit. Right after mixing, I use a small cookie dough scoop to make nice consistant size balls. I use the special dark chocolaty chips and freeze them. Still have to work them into a firm ball with your hands.

Brian — October 17, 2015 at 2:13 pm

I have several suggestions.

1) If you are not concerned about gluten, use Bran Flakes, they are lower in carbs.

2) Totally replace the high carb oatmeal with a combination of Flax seed meal, chia seeds, coconut (and/or almond) flour, and cacao. 16 tablespoons is 1 cup. I also add some shredded coconut. If you can, try to use organic ingredients.

3) To make this ketogenic agreeable, get rid of the raisins and any chocolates, the cacao is the only chocolate you need. Protein powders can be added as part of the dry ingredients to adjust the protein balance if you need. Just make sure you are not using protein with high sugar/carbs.

Kaveh — October 18, 2015 at 2:23 pm

I just made this without chocolate cookie which i think spoil the goodness of it.

They taste amazing. Thank you

1. Pingback: Chocolate Energy Bites - Eat. Drink. Love.

2. Pingback: Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Bites » Eat. Drink. Love.

3. Pingback: 26 Easy Energy Bite Recipes | Recipes

4. Pingback: 11 No-Bake Energy Bites Recipes - Life by DailyBurn

5. Pingback: 10 Kid Friendly Healthy Afterschool Snacks - Posh in Progress

6. Pingback: 30 Healthy Breakfast Ideas to Change Your Morning - Sonima

7. Pingback: Everyone’s Doing It…. | Twin Cities Mamas

8. Pingback: No Bake Energy Bites - Hectic and Healthy

9. Pingback: New #Food Challenge for Spring: No-bake Energy Bites. #lifestyle | Family Love Does More

10. Pingback: No-Bake Energy Bites with Cacao Nibs - I Ain't No Chef

11. Pingback: Energy Bites | geekgirlmae

12. Pingback: Event-Driven Architecture: Softwarearchitektur f free downloads

13. Pingback: 5 Steps To Make Going Back To School A Breeze | Healing Touch Chiropractic

14. Pingback: No Bake Almond Butter Bites - GetRealGurls Nutrition