Homemade Spaghetti

Homemade Spaghetti

I hope you all had a great Easter yesterday! Me and the hubs went to church and then came home and spent the day watching re-runs of Game of Thrones to get us ready for the season 3 premiere. Oh and also, I made homemade spaghetti.

Homemade Spaghetti

We always do some sort of homemade pasta for Easter in my family. Since we are now all living all the way out in the desert, we were on our own this year. This gave me the perfect excuse to finally bust out the pasta machine we got for our wedding almost 3 years ago (oops!). I can whip out homemade manicotti shells like it is nobody’s business. When it comes to homemade spaghetti, it was always a group effort at my house so I never really had to make it on my own. It does take some time to make your own pasta, but it is so SO worth it!

Homemade Spaghetti

You can go out and get the pasta attachment for your stand mixer. I don’t have one and while I know it would be awesome, there is something very rewarding about using a good ol’ hand crank machine. Plus, you get a little work out before eating a ton of carbs!

Oh, and yeah, you could also get yourself a pasta stand to dry your pasta, but if you want to be hard core, you use a broomstick. Yeah, that’s how we roll.

Homemade Spaghetti

Homemade Spaghetti

Yield: 6 servings

Prep Time: 1 hour

Cook Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 1hour, 10 minutes

• 3 eggs
  • 3 cups flour
  • warm water
  • sauce of your choice

1. Spread the flour around in a circle and make a well on a flat surface. Crack the eggs open and place them into the well of the flour. Using your hands combine the eggs in with the flour. Add warm water by the tablespoon to help the mixture come together (yes, this is extremely messy).
  2. Knead it. Knead the dough until the cows come home. The dough should not be tacky. It should be nice and smooth. Knead it until it gets to that point.
  3. Now you need to get out your pasta attachment or machine and will follow those directions. I break my dough ball into 6 equal portions. One at a time, I roll them through to flatten and smooth the dough out. I usually roll it through about 3-5 times. Then I roll it through the pasta cutter of my choice.
  4. After you roll the pasta through the pasta cutter, you need to separate the pasta so it does not stick together. Place a handful of corn meal on the counter and rub the pasta into it, trying to separate the noodles with your fingers. Then lay each noodle on a pasta drying rack or on a clean broomstick until the pasta dries.
  5. Prepare a large pot with boiling water, add salt. Add about half of the pasta and cook for about 5 minutes or until it is cooked. Remove the cooked pasta from the pot and add to a strainer. Add the remaining pasta and cook. Strain. Top with the sauce of your choice and serve!

Many homemade pasta recipes I have seen seem to add more eggs. We have always used about 3 eggs and this makes for a lighter pasta. If you want to add more eggs, feel free to do so, it just might make your pasta more dense.

Homemade Spaghetti

27 Responses to “Homemade Spaghetti”

CCU — April 1, 2013 at 4:52 am

That spaghetti looks utterly delicious :D

CCU

• Stephanie replied: — April 1st, 2013 @ 6:51 pm

Thanks so much!

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — April 1, 2013 at 7:56 am

Awesome job! I couldn’t have spaghetti hanging in my kitchen! My dog would go crazy and eat it all! lol Your recipe sounds amazing your pasta looks so good! I could only imagine how wonderful it must taste! Awesome job!! I want to make some pasta!

• Stephanie replied: — April 1st, 2013 @ 6:52 pm

Oh yes, the broomstick wouldn’t work with doggies in the house. They do make pasta drying racks that sit on your counter though!

• Memoria replied: — April 4th, 2013 @ 9:34 pm

Stephanie, you don’t need to hang out your pasta. Homemade pasta can go directly into boiling water immediately after being made. Even many Italians (at least where I lived) do not dry the pasta before eating it. Just boil for 2-3 minutes and enjoy!

Anyway, this pasta looks amazing, and the sauce looks so enticing! I love looking at homemade pasta…almost as much as eating it! almost haha.

• Stephanie replied: — April 13th, 2013 @ 9:47 pm

Good to know, Memoria! I will have to try it next time. Does the pasta stick together more easily if you do not dry it though?

• Memoria replied: — April 14th, 2013 @ 4:41 pm

It doesn’t stick for me. I never dry my homemade pasta, and it works fine and tastes so wonderfully fresh.

• Memoria replied: — April 14th, 2013 @ 4:42 pm

Also, my (Italian) boyfriend and his mother, who were born and still live in southern Italy, had never heard of drying pasta. They also boil their pasta right after it is made.

claire @ the realistic nutritionist — April 1, 2013 at 9:50 am

HAHAHAH!!! I love the broomstick!

• Stephanie replied: — April 1st, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

Hehe, thanks girl!

Georgia @ The Comfort of Cooking — April 1, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Haha, I love that you used a broomstick! We hung ours on a cleaned kitchen stool here. Your pasta looks sensational, Stephanie!

• Stephanie replied: — April 1st, 2013 @ 6:53 pm

Oh, a stool? Never thought about that one!

Stephanie!! I love that you make your own pasta!! I have been wanting to make some for ages! I just got a ravioli kit thing but I don’t have any way to make my own pasta sheets so I haven’t used it yet :/

When can I invite myself over for a pasta making party? ;) I’m only kinda kidding…

• Stephanie replied: — April 3rd, 2013 @ 11:55 pm

You should totally try it, Nicole! And hey, we live in the same city now, we can totally have a pasta making party!

Ramona — April 2, 2013 at 7:32 am

Look at you with Mama Stephanie’s homemade pasta!! Job well done!! I love your drying technique.

• Stephanie replied: — April 3rd, 2013 @ 11:56 pm

Thanks, Ramona! Who needs a fancy drying rack when you can use a good ol’ broomstick?! :P

Ari @ Ari's Menu — April 2, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Daaaaaang girl, you fancy! I’m also pretty in love with that photo of the pasta hanging over the rack. I never had any desire to make my own pasta, but now I’m definitely intrigued ;)

• Stephanie replied: — April 3rd, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

Thank you, Ari! It is so worth it to make your own, it tastes so much better than the boxed pastas!

Meghan — April 2, 2013 at 11:25 pm

My favorite part is the broomstick! Homemade pasta is the best & yours looks awesome!

• Stephanie replied: — April 3rd, 2013 @ 11:57 pm

Thanks, Meghan! The broomstick is the bomb! ;P

GourmetGetaways — April 3, 2013 at 12:35 am

Oh that looks so delicious!! I really do have to make my own pasta one day… although funny enough, I have just put up the perfect sauce to match your pasta ;)

sally @ sallys baking addiction — April 3, 2013 at 11:01 am

I freaking LOVE these photos of the spaghetti Stephanie! Homemade pasta is so unbelievably good and I wish I could make it all the time. We made homemade ravioli last fall. SO good.

Ashley — April 3, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I have yet to make homemade pasta … but I really really want to! haha. It sounds and looks amazing!

Emily @ Life on Food — April 3, 2013 at 12:33 pm

I got a pasta maker for Christmas and haven’t tried it out yet. Must do soon. This looks like so much fun.

Colleen, The Smart Cookie Cook — April 4, 2013 at 8:22 pm

I have been dying to try homemade pasta, and it seems so doable. Your photos of the process are too pretty.

Justin @ Behind the Bites — April 4, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Photos are awesome and the food looks delicious. You can’t go wrong with homemade pasta! Thanks for sharing …

Jennie — April 5, 2013 at 2:38 pm

I have been wanting to make my own pasta for a while. I’m a bit nervous, but you make it look fairly easy. Nothing beats homemade pasta. Yum!