Oh, ranch dressing, how I love thee! Perfect for salad, dipping veggies, pizza crust. So good, you could bathe in it. Ok, wait…no, that’s gross. Maybe chocolate, but I’m not sure I love ranch dressing that much…
ANYWAY…As much as I love ranch dressing, I have found that I hate pretty much all bottled ranch dressings. I feel like I have tried every brand in existence and I just can’t find one that I like enough to finish or buy again. And don’t even get me started on low-fat ranch dressings. Most of them are just horrid and have a weird chemically taste to me. Blech!
If I would have known earlier that it was so easy to make my own ranch dressing AND that it would actually taste good, I would have saved myself a lot of money! And best of all, it’s also low in fat! This recipe makes a good amount of dressing too so you can keep a bottle stashed in your fridge to have your own low-fat buttermilk ranch dressing whenever you want!
- 2/3 cup fat-free sour cream
- 2/3 cup fat-free, plain Greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup light mayonnaise
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried parsley
- 1 1/2 tsp. dried dill
- 1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)
- 1/2 tsp. fresh cracked pepper (or to taste)
- 1 tbs. white balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup low-fat buttermilk (see note)
- In a bowl, combine the sour cream, yogurt, mayo, garlic powder, onion powder, parsley, dill, pepper, and the salt.
- Stir in the balsamic vinegar, followed by the buttermilk.
If the dressing seems to watery, you can add in more sour cream, Greek yogurt, or the mayo to thicken it a bit. If you like for the dressing to be thicker, start by pouring half of the buttermilk in and then add more in until the dressing reaches your desired thickness.
If you do not have buttermilk, you can make your own by adding about 1 tsp. of white vinegar or lemon juice to a cup of milk and let stand for about 5 minutes.
Adapted from Skinnytaste