Last spring, I made Greek Salad Grilled Pizza and I am not kidding when I tell you it is still one of my most favorite pizzas ever. I love the thinner crust and all that fresh Greek Salad on top. It’s so light and flavorful. It truly is the perfect pizza for spring and summer.
I’ve been wanting to try another salad pizza so I turned to one of my other favorite salads…the Cobb salad. I love a good Cobb salad loaded with great toppings! It’s all about the toppings! Thus, the Cobb Salad pizza was born!
You really can’t go wrong with this recipe. You basically just grill or bake your crust and then toss some salad on top with your favorite toppings! For the meat, I used some deli chicken we had in the fridge, but I think some grilled chicken, turkey, or even ham would be great as well. How you make the crust is also flexible. I like to use my grill pan to grill mine. First, it gives the crust a nice crisp, and secondly, it is done in a jiff! If you don’t want to grill it, you can always just bake it in the oven.
- 1/2 lb. fresh pizza dough
- 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil, divided
- salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups fresh hearts of romaine (or lettuce of your choice)
- 1/2 cup sliced cherry tomatoes
- 2 tbs. chopped red onion
- 1 cup meat of your choice (grilled chicken, turkey, ham, etc.)
- 1/4 cup cooked bacon, chopped into small pieces
- 1/2 of an avocado, diced
- Low-Fat Buttermilk Ranch Dressing (or the dressing of your choice)
- extra cheddar cheese or blue cheese crumbles (optional)
- Preheat a grill or grill pan on medium heat. On a lightly floured surface, roll out the pizza dough until it is about 1/4" thick. Brush half of the olive oil on one side of the dough and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place the oiled side down on the heated grill/pan and grill for about 3-4 minutes until lightly browned. While the first side is face down on the grill. Brush the remaining olive oil and sprinkle with more salt and pepper on the other side. Turn the dough over and grill for an additional 3-4 minutes until browned.*(see note)
- Remove the dough off the grill/pan. Sprinkle the mozzarella cheese and the cheddar cheese evenly over the top. It will melt as the dough is still warm.
- In a bowl, add the lettuce, onion, meat, tomatoes, bacon, and the avocado. Toss to mix.
- Distribute the salad evenly over the pizza. Drizzle as much of the ranch dressing (or dressing of your choice) over the pizza as you'd like. If desired, sprinkle additional cheddar cheese or blue cheese on top.
You do not have to grill the pizza dough if you do not want to. Feel free to bake it in the oven as you would other pizzas.
Traditional Cobb salads contain eggs. I chose to omit egg from this pizza as I felt it was just too much with the crust, but feel free to add some if you want!