Hi all, sorry I didn’t have a new post for you yesterday! It was a long day of flying back to Arizona and I was just too dang tired to post!
Did you guys know that Thanksgiving is NEXT WEEK?! How is this possible?! So not ready! However, we totally started putting up Christmas decorations. I know, it’s early. But, see, I just don’t care! Ha! We are always traveling during the holidays so we figured it was okay to decorate early since we won’t be here to enjoy it!
Since Thanksgiving is rapidly approaching, I have another side dish recipe for you! Today, it’s the veggies. Broccoli to be exact. While potatoe gratin is just wonderful, it’s not very healthy. This recipe will satisfy your craving for cheesy and creamy goodness without all the calories and starch. I used just broccoli here, but you could also do a combo of broccoli and cauliflower!
- 5 cups broccoli, trimmed
- 3 tbs. unsalted butter
- 2 tbs. flour
- 3/4 cup skim milk
- 3/4 cup reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese, shredded
- 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3/4 cup panko bread crumbs (can use more if you would like)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a large pot of lightly salted, boiling, water, cook the broccoli until just tender (be careful not to over cook the broccoli!). Drain and set aside.
- In a saucepan, melt the butter on medium heat. Stir in the flour with the butter and stir until well-combined. Add in the milk and cheddar cheese and whisk until smooth. Stir in the garlic powder and salt and pepper.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, add the broccoli. Pour the cheese mixture over the broccoli and mix to coat. Evenly distribute the panko bread crumbs over the top. Bake for about 15-20 minutes or until the top is golden brown.