Well, hey there Hump Day, where did you come from?! I’m sorry that I didn’t have a new post for you guys yesterday! But, we spent the weekend visiting my husband’s family because my sister-in-law, Carrie, just had a baby!
This is Owen and he is just a little piece of heaven! So you see, I have a good excuse for being a little off-schedule!
Ok, so let’s talk soup. Chicken Tortilla Soup. In 30 minutes. Sounds pretty darn good, right?! I think I could eat this soup every single day and be totally happy. It’s flavorful, comes together quickly, and will fill you up! With all the spices, it also has a nice kick. Throw some warm tortilla chips, diced avocado, cheese, cilantro, and sour cream on top and you will have yourself a bowl of my most favorite soup ever!!
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 15-ounce can unseasoned black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 can (about 8 ounces) corn kernels, drained
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp. paprika
- salt to taste
- 1 can (about 15 ounces) diced tomatoes
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups shredded chicken (I used rotisserie)
- tortilla chips, broken into smaller pieces (I also like to warm mine in the oven)
- shredded cheese
- diced avocado
- sour cream
- In a large pot, heat the olive oil over medium high heat. Add the diced onion and saute until the onion is translucent. Add the black beans and corn. Stir in the chili powder, cayenne pepper, paprika, and salt until the beans and corn are well-coated with the spices (about 1 minute).
- Pour in the broth and the entire can of the diced tomatoes (including the juice). Add the chicken and stir everything until well-combined. Lower the heat and let the soup simmer for about 20 minutes.
- While the soup is cooking, heat the tortilla chips in the oven and prepare your other toppings.
- Ladle the soup into bowls and top with desired garnishes and serve!
Feel free to play around with the spices in this soup. If you like more spice, add it! If you like less, then don't add as much!