It’s Skinny Bitch Tuesday! Today is our last day in Cleveland. Tomorrow morning, we head to Montreal because I have a conference for work. I’m sad to leave family, but it’s time to get back down to business!
For today’s Skinny Bitch post, Jennifer chose the Spicy Black Bean Enchiladas. You know I love Mexican food so I was pretty excited to make these enchiladas! I made them the day before I was heading out of town so my creative juices were not flowing and I just made the recipe as it is in the cookbook. I thought these enchiladas were really good. Just the right amount of spice!
I only have one complaint about this recipe. The sauce. It’s tasty, but I found it to be too thick and by the time I took my enchiladas out of the oven, they were a little dry. I think they would taste better if the sauce were thinner. I would definitely make these again, but I think I will try adding some tomato sauce to thin out the sauce a bit.
- 1 tbs. olive oil
- 1/2 white or yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 2 cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2 canned chipotle peppers (or 1 chipotle pepper in adobo sauce)
- 1 cup diced tomato
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (or vegan cheese)
- 12 tortillas, warmed
- 2 tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
- tomato sauce (optional; to thin out sauce if necessary)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium sauce pan, heat 1 tbs. olive oil on medium high heat. Add the bell pepper and cook for about 6 minutes. Add in the chili powder, cumin, and red pepper flakes. Then add in the black beans and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add a little less than half of the black bean mixture into a food processor. Set the remaining black beans aside. Add the diced tomatoes and chipotle peppers into the food processor. Blend until smooth. If the sauce seems thick, add in some tomato sauce to thin it out. Add more salt and pepper to taste, if desired.
- In a 9x13 baking dish, pour some of the sauce into the bottom of the dish and spread evenly just to cover the bottom. Fill each warmed tortilla with about 2-3 tbs. of the black beans from the pan. Roll and place into the dish, seam side down. Pour the remaining sauce on top of the tortillas. Sprinkle the cheese evenly over the top. Bake for about 40 minutes or until it bubbles. Serve with cilantro, sour cream, etc.
From Skinny Bitch
Don’t forget to check out what the other Skinny Bitch gals made!
Claire of The Realistic Nutritionist
Jennifer of Peanut Butter and Peppers
Michelle of The Healthy Bites