Avocado and Mango Crostini

Avocado and Mango Crostini

Guys, guess what?! I finished writing my dissertation! I’m so exhausted, I can’t even tell you! Now I just have to defend the paper in front of my committee in a couple of weeks and I am D.O.N.E!! It’s been a long 6 years of grad school and I’m so excited to finally be here. Now let’s just hope I pass my defense! AHHHHH, so nervous!! As long as I have been in grad school, this dissertation process seems to just be flying by as I have tried to get it all done in a matter of a few months. But, for now, I am taking the weekend off to get some much needed sleep and so that I can try and gain back some of my sanity.

Alright, so the other day, I was thinking about yummy, summery appetizers. And then I thought about avocados, mango, and bread. I mean, how can you go wrong with that combo?! And seriously, this appetizer is so light and refreshing and it just tastes like summer. I love it so much, I could make a meal out of it and I totally did for lunch yesterday.

Avocado and Mango Crostini

And don’t they look fancy? I want you all to make this for your next summer garden party. Because I know you guys are so fancy and have summer garden parties all the time..

Avocado and Mango Crostini

Avocado and Mango Crostini

Yield: serves 6-8

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 20 minutes

• 1 garlic clove
  • extra virgin olive oil (for brushing)
  • 1 baguette, sliced
  • 2 avocados, diced into bite-size pieces
  • 2 cups mango, diced into bite-size pieces (can use fresh or frozen)
  • 2 limes, juiced
  • salt to taste
  • crushed red pepper flakes (optional)

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Take the garlic clove and rub onto the top of each piece of bread. Brush the tops with the olive oil. Place the bread on a cookie sheet and toast in the oven until lightly toasted (you can also do this on the grill if desired).
  2. In a bowl, combine the diced avocado, diced mango, and lime juice. Toss to combine. Add salt to taste.
  3. Scoop about 1-2 tbs. of the mixture on top of each slice of toasted bread. Sprinkle crushed red pepper flakes on top and serve.

Not into mangoes? Try peaches or strawberries instead!

Avocado and Mango Crostini

13 Responses to “Avocado and Mango Crostini”

Choc Chip Uru — July 28, 2012 at 2:45 am

What a feeling to be finished :D
    You deserve to eat as many of these cute and delicious crostinis as you want!

• Stephanie replied: — July 28th, 2012 @ 10:00 am

Thanks, girl! I want to eat them all! lol

Ramona — July 28, 2012 at 6:29 am

Wow!! CONGRATULATIONS! I can just imagine how much of a relief it must feel to get that huge project done. I wish you all the best in defending your dissertation!! Lovely tropical crostini!! Healthy too!! :) Have a great weekend! ~ Ramona

Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers — July 28, 2012 at 9:17 am

Wonderful and creative combination! I love it!! Have a wonderful weekend!!

Lisa {Sweet 2 Eat Baking} — July 28, 2012 at 11:31 am

Congratulations on finishing after 6 long years. Of course you will pass aand you deserve it too.

These crostini’s look so delicious and summer on a plate as you said. I could eat a few of them right now in fact. Enjoy!

-Lisa.
    Sweet 2 Eat Baking
    P.S. Just to let you know, I changed servers on my blog so you may need to re-subscribe again (sorry!) See this post.

Julie @ Table for Two — July 28, 2012 at 2:57 pm

holy crap – 6 years?! girl, congrats!! it must be an amazing feeling to be done! these look awesome and the texture combination – i can only imagine how smooth and creamy it is! love it.

Ridwan — July 28, 2012 at 7:46 pm

First off all Congrats !! you deserved it,,,and,,,the crostini sound so good,avocado and mango are my favorite,I will make this crostini soon :)

Terra — July 28, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Yay!!!! Congrats, enjoy your weekend relaxing! This recipe sounds so light and refreshing:-) Yum, Hugs, Terra

Laura @ Sprint 2 the Table — July 29, 2012 at 10:17 am

I love the different textures here! these would be perfect for a little summer get together, many with something sparkling to drink. :)

Jessica@AKitchenAddiction — July 30, 2012 at 11:33 am

Congrats on finishing!! I’m sure that is an amazing feeling! I love the mango and avocado combo!

Emily @ Life on Food — August 2, 2012 at 6:36 am

Congratulations! I hope you get to relax for a quick bit and cook up a storm. These crostini are the perfect combination and great no cook snack for summer.

1. Pingback: Low-Fat Super Bowl Recipe Ideas