Oh, hi Summer! It’s nice to see you. Kind of. I have to admit that I REALLY hate Florida summers. The humidity just totally disgusts me! You can break a sweat just walking to the mailbox. And don’t even get me started on my hair. Thick and wavy hair does not work well in humidity. I don’t even know why I bother straightening my hair.
One thing I do enjoy about summer is food. Duh. Summertime makes me think of great picnic and BBQ foods. Pasta and potato salads are a summer favorite. I have some serious standards when it comes to pasta salads. If there is a ton of mayo, you can forget it! I also like my pasta salads to filled with other great ingredients like lots of fresh veggies for added texture and flavor.
THIS pasta salad! This pasta salad is an exception to my pasta salad rule. There isn’t a ton of mayo. The buttermilk gives it a nice tang and the dill just adds even more great flavor! The other thing I love about this pasta salad is how versatile it is. I added peas, corn, and bacon to mine as that is what I had on hand at home, but you could really add so many different things to this pasta salad! Maybe some cherry tomatoes, broccoli, or carrots. I think some chicken or shrimp would also be nice!
OH, and before we get to the recipe, have you entered my digital food scale giveaway from SlimKicker? What are you waiting for?! Enter here!
- 8 ounces whole grain shell pasta (or pasta of your choice)
- 1/3 cup reduced fat mayonnaise (I used the kind made with olive oil)
- 1/4 cup low fat or fat free buttermilk
- 1 cup frozen green peas
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 4-5 slices reduced fat bacon, cooked and diced into small pieces
- 1 tbs. fresh dill, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 tbs. lemon juice
- salt and pepper to taste
- Cook pasta according to package instructions.
- In a small saucepan, combine the frozen corn and peas with about a half a cup of water. Heat on medium heat and cook until the vegetables are warm and tender. Drain and set aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the mayo, buttermilk, dill, garlic, lemon juice, and salt and pepper to taste.
- In a serving bowl, combine the cooked pasta, corn and peas, and bacon. Add the buttermilk sauce and toss to combine. Serve or store in the fridge.
Adapted from Cooking Light