This weekend, we drove down to Orlando to spend the weekend with my mom, stepdad, and little brother. Although Thanksgiving is going to be here soon, I haven’t made a visit home since early September and I just needed some family time NOW! My mom told me about this recipe last week and she wanted to make it again this weekend so I could share it with all of you!
This salad is refreshing and really easy to make! It’s more of a summer dish, but I live in Florida, so I think we can still get away with some lighter dishes! My mom and I ate this for lunch, but it would also make a great side dish! If you aren’t a fan of shrimp, I bet this would also be good with some shredded rotisserie chicken!
Shrimp and Bulgur Salad
– 1 cup bulgur
– 2 cups cooked baby shrimp (thaw if frozen)
– 4 tbs. pitted green olives (or kalamata olives)
– 6-8 grape tomatoes, sliced and diced
– 2 scallions, trimmed and chopped
– 4 tbs. Italian parsley, minced
– 4 tsp. white wine vinegar
– 4 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
– salt and pepper to taste
– Optional: 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
1. Bring 1 cup of water to a boil in a saucepan. Add in the bulgur. Cover the pan and remove from the heat. Let stand for about 15 minutes or until the water is absorbed and the bulgur is chewy. Add to a medium-sized bowl and let cool.
2. Add shrimp, olives, tomatoes, scallions, and the parsley to the bowl and mix everything together. Combine the olive oil (and cumin) with the salad and season with salt and pepper.