Do you ever have one of those weeks where you just don’t feel like doing anything?! That was me this entire weekend. It was definitely a relaxing weekend, but I didn’t feel like getting out much. My husband and I spent both Friday and Saturday night watching re-runs of The Wonder Years on Netflix. I’ve been waiting to be able to watch this show again for years! It’s just as awesome as I remember it to be! After a long weekend of nothingness, it felt like a one-pot meal kind of night. With the cooler weather, I had a craving for a big bowl of my mom’s beef stew! This stew is pretty easy to make, but it takes about 4 solid hours to cook, so make sure you plan this meal ahead of time!
Mom’s Beef Stew
– 1 1/2-2 lbs. stew beef
– 2 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
– 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 tsp. salt
– 1 tsp. black pepper
– 5 cups water
– 1/3 cup red wine
– 1 tbs. tomato paste (optional)
– 2 cups chopped carrots
– 2 cups whole pearl onions, peel outer layer
– 2 large potatoes, peeled and chopped into bite-size pieces
– 1 cup frozen peas
– salt and pepper to taste
1. Add flour, salt, and pepper in a small bowl. Heat oil in a large pot, dredge beef in the flour. Add to pot and brown meat on each side for approximately 3 minutes. Add water and wine. Simmer on low heat for 2 hours until the meat is tender.
2. Add in the onions and carrots. Add salt and pepper if you think it is needed. Simmer for another hour and a half. Then add the potatoes and cook for an additional 30 minutes until the potatoes are cooked. Add the peas during the last 5-10 minutes of cooking.
- My husband is not much of an onion fan, so I actually scooped out the onions in my stew right before I added the potatoes.
- I found myself adding salt and pepper throughout the cooking process. I recommend tasting as you go and add more salt and pepper if you think it is needed.