Mother Nature must of heard me complaining about the heat last week because the weather we had this weekend was just gorgeous! It was about 70 degrees yesterday and it was actually a little cool outside last night which gave our A/C a much needed break. It was a perfect day to make some soup. Husband and I got a late start yesterday morning and were busy running errands all day getting more Halloween decorations (yes, my decorations are up already) and going to the store so I didn’t want to make anything too complicated for dinner. This chicken tortellini soup is barely a recipe, it is so easy to make and is done in under 30 minutes! You can make your own broth and cook your own chicken, but if you’re pressed for time, any chicken broth will do and you can use a rotisserie chicken from your grocery store!
Chicken Tortellini Soup
– 9 cups chicken broth
– 2 cups cooked chicken, shredded or cut into small pieces
– 1 cup diced carrots
– 1 lb. cheese tortellini (I like Buitoni’s pasta from the refrigerated section)
– salt and pepper to taste
– chopped parsley and parmesan cheese (optional)
– Optional ingredients to add to soup: celery, spinach, diced tomatoes
1. In a large pot, heat chicken broth on medium heat. Add carrots and simmer for 10 minutes. Add chicken to the broth. While the carrots are simmering, cook tortellini (leave slightly al dente). Add tortellini and simmer on low heat for additional 5 minutes. Add salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with parsley and parmesan cheese.
P.S. If you are wondering what those delicious biscuits are, they are cheddar bay biscuits! I’ll post the recipe for them tomorrow!