Ah, Monday. Back to work I go! It was a nice weekend, except for the fact that I am still sick! I am feeling a little better, but still not 100%. I was able to get off the couch yesterday to celebrate my birthday. I am blessed with such wonderful family and friends! I got to go shopping with one of my best friends, saw the new Sarah Jessica Parker movie (I am obsessed with her, by the way), and then we had dinner at one of my favorite restaurants, The Melting Pot. Seriously, it doesn’t get better than bread dipped in delicious melted cheese. It really doesn’t.
It’s been a while since I made some homemade pizza so we had craving for some today. I wanted to do something different than our usual cheese and pepperoni, buffalo chicken pizza, or my broccoli and feta pizza. Since we love our Mexican food, I thought a Mexican pizza would be really yummy. And it certainly was!
Mexican Chicken Pizza
– 1 lb. prepared pizza dough (or make your own! this is my favorite!)
– 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
– 1 tbs. extra virgin olive oil
– salt and pepper
– 1/3-1/2 cup salsa (depending on how “saucy” you like your pizza)
– 1 1/2 cups cooked chicken breast, shredded (I used rotisserie)
– 1/2 package taco seasoning
– 1/2 cup black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 1/2-2 cups pepper jack cheese, shredded
– 2 tbs. chopped cilantro
– sour cream (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Prepare pizza pan by brushing a thin layer of extra virgin olive oil onto the pan. Coat dough and hands in the flour so that the dough does not stick to your hands. Roll out the dough until it is approximately 1/2 inch thick. Use pastry brush to brush a thin layer of olive oil onto the dough. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Bake dough for approximately 8 minutes or until a light golden brown.
2.While dough is baking, in a small pan, heat chicken with taco seasoning (prepared according to package instructions). Spread salsa evenly onto the dough. Add cheese, then chicken and then the black beans. Bake for another 8-10 minutes until dough is golden brown and cheese is fully melted. Sprinkle with cilantro and serve!