You know how I said I try to make healthy recipes whenever possible? Well, this one is the complete opposite of healthy. But you know what? Sometimes you gotta splurge and a birthday is the perfect excuse for splurging! No, it’s not my birthday, but it was my mom’s birthday and I wanted to surprise her with a delicious birthday treat! One of the reasons I wanted to start this blog was to improve not just my cooking skills, but also my baking skills. You see, aside from chocolate chip cookies and quick breads, my baking skills aren’t so great. I spent the last few days scouring the internet trying to figure out what kind of cupcakes I would make for my mom. Like mother, like daughter, my mom and I are both chocoholics. So, I knew one thing – they needed to be chocolate. The more chocolatey, the better! The other thing I knew was that I was hesitant to make these completely from scratch. I didn’t want to risk them not rising or not tasting good and since I didn’t have much time, I decided to use a “doctored” cake mix recipe. By adding just a few extra ingredients, these cupcakes have more of the homemade taste that I was going for. For the frosting, I whipped up my own chocolate cream cheese frosting. Overall, these cupcakes came out great and I would definitely make them again. Happy Birthday, Mom!
Triple Chocolate Cupcakes
From All Recipes
Ingredients for the cupcakes:
Makes 24 cupcakes
– 1 box devil’s food cake mix
– 1 (5.9 ounce) package instant chocolate pudding mix
– 2 tsp. vanilla extract
– 1 cup sour cream
– 1 cup vegetable oil*
– 4 eggs
– 1/2 cup milk
– 1 1/2 cups mini semisweet chocolate chips
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F and mix all ingredients in a large bowl except the chocolate chips. Once all of the other ingredients are mixed together, add in chocolate chips.
2. Place cupcake liners into muffin pan and pour batter into cups filling each cup approximately 3/4 of the way. Bake for 19-22 minutes or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Allow cupcakes to cool completely before frosting.
Ingredients for the frosting (24 cupcakes):
– 2 8-ounce boxes of cream cheese, softened
– 8 cups confectioner’s sugar
– 4 Tbs. shortening*
– 2 tsp. vanilla extract
– 3 1/2 Tbs. unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter
1. Using a hand mixer or the paddle attachment on a stand mixer, cream cream cheese, butter, and shortening together. Add in vanilla extract and cocoa powder and mix until thoroughly combined.
2. Add in confectioner’s sugar, one cup at at time until sugar is completely combined.
- The original recipe calls for 1 cup of vegetable oil. This seems like a lot to me. I only added about 3/4 of a cup.
- You might want to chill the frosting for about 10 or 15 minutes before frosting if you plan to use a piping bag and decorating tip to frost your cupcakes.
- When I first read this recipe and saw that it required shortening, I kind of cringed, however, after reading the comments from everyone, it is recommended to make your frosting a little more stable. You don’t have to use it if you don’t want to though!